Thursday, June 18, 2009

New Wife Tip #2.....

New Wife Tip #2: Use the Food Network site for easy regular foods that you would normally buy pre-made at the grocery store. Now I'll admit to this...I buy Pillsbury Grands biscuits. I never saw the point in making something from scratch that was so easy to take out of a can. Recently I made the last can of biscuits from the fridge and they were great right out of the over. I couldn't have imagined a most delicious piece of bread at the time. Please keep in mind, we're changing our eating habits, so having bread with dinner has become VERY unusual. So I thought these buscuitts were the best thing I could have made. The next day I went to take one with me to work for a snack mid morning when I feel like passing out because I would much rather be in bed than at work (no..this is not a low blood sugar passing out). The buscuitts were hard as rocks. I think if I tired, I could have broken a window with one.

Last night we had breakfast for dinner. We decided on this meal while I was at work, and I got to thinking...I should try something different. Dennis and I both said we wanted eggs, breakfast meat of some kind, and buscuitts. I decided to make Sweet Potato Buscuitts. I had seen them on Diners, Drive In's and Dives and thought...that would be great to make. I printed out the Emril recipe, had my hubby get all of the ingredients I needed and made them in no time at all. These are the most amazing things on earth. The recipe is below. I changed it just a slight bit....I added more nuts because Dennis and I are big fans of walnuts. I also added about 1/3 of a cup of brown sugar, and I also added a little cinnamon (2 tablespoons) and a tiny bit of nutmeg (1/2 teaspoon). This has truly made me a believer...making something home made doesn't always have to take all day and it's going to be that much more amazing. This morning when I took a buscuitt to work, it was still mosit and WONDERFUL!!!!! We will be making these again!!!!!


Sweet Potato Biscuits

Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse

Ingredients

  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 12 tablespoons cold butter
  • 1 cup mashed roasted sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 cup ground pecans
  • 1/3 cup half and half

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a 1/2 sheet pan. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar together. Add the butter, and with your hands, work the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles a coarse cornmeal. Stir in the sweet potatoes and pecans. Add the cream, a little at a time until a soft dough is formed. Lightly flour a surface. Place the dough onto the surface and dust the top with flour. Lightly press the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a 2 inch biscuit cutter, cut the biscuits into rounds. Place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.

1 comment: