Thursday, February 4, 2010

Recipe Thursday....I really should do this more.

So I haven't posted a recipe for "Recipe Thursday" since I tried to start this theme day of the week. But last night I changed and adapted a recipe I made Monday night and now it is time to share it with the world. I have been trying to do a Meatless Monday because we both need more veggies in our lives and I'd like to know how to make more vegetarian dishes for Chris. So Monday I made cheese tortellini with a roasted tomato, spinach and white wine sauce. Last night i took the left over sauce from Monday and added more veggies and chicken to it. Den loved it and I thought it was good. I didn't want to make pasta twice in the same week but we were supposed to have friends come over last night and with the limited food in the house, pasta was easiest. We're attempting not to over shop as we have been known to do in the past. So big meals for more than the 2 of us are hard especially when you have someone with food allergies coming over for dinner.

Here's the recipe

1 qtr cup chopped mushrooms
1 qtr cup diced yellow onion
1 qtr cup diced frozen multi color bell peppers
1 frozen package of spinach thawed and water drained
2 cans of roasted tomatoes
1 qtr cup favorite white wine
1 package Penne pasta

Cook pasta to al dente
Reserve one cup of starchy water from pasta for sauce
Put a little olive oil in cooked pasta to keep it from sticking

In a separate saute mushrooms, onion and bell pepper. Once veggies are soft, add spinach and tomatoes. Do not bother to drain the tomatoes. Once veggies are combined add white wine. Simmer and let wine reduce in veggie mixture. Once the wine has reduced, pour in half of starchy water. This will thicken the veggie sauce mixture. Continue adding water until the sauce has the consistency you want. Mix sauce and pasta together. Add to a baking pan and cook for 10 minutes. The baking will help the sauce flavor infuse into the pasta.

Feel free to add chicken or other meat to the dish to make this meal not vegetarian.

I'm not the best recipe writer, especially because I do most of this on the fly while I'm in the kitchen, so if you have questions, feel free to ask.

1 comment: